First Posted: 7/3/2013
Who says there’s no such thing as a free lunch?
A federal program at 10 locations throughout Greater Pittston is offering just that to local children: a free lunch, free breakfast, free supper. Even free snacks.
The meals are being offered as part of the Summer Food Service Program, a federal nutrition program jointly run by the federal Department of Agriculture, the state Department of Education and local sponsors.
There are more than 100 sites in Lackawanna and Luzerne counties, including 10 in Greater Pittston.
U.S. Sen. Bob Casey, co-chair of the Senate Hunger Caucus, said more than 34,000 in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties are eligible to receive nutrition assistance during the school year, through free and reduced school lunches, but many are hungry during summer months.
These food service sites are open to children in the community and do not require registration.The sites operate Monday to Friday.
The sites in Greater Pittston are as follows:
• Jefferson Park off New Street in Pittston. Lunch is offered from noon to 12:30 p.m. and afternoon snack is offered from 3:30 to 4 p.m. The program runs until Aug. 16.
• Campus Kidz at 66 Broad St. Lunch is offered from noon to 12:30 p.m. and and afternoon snack is offered from 3:30 to 4 p.m. The program runs until Aug. 16.
• Perspective Athletic Center also at 66 Broad St. An evening snack is offered from 5 to 5:30 p.m. and supper is offered from 7 to 8 p.m. The program runs until Aug. 16.
• Pittston Memorial Library at 47 Broad St. Lunch is offered from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. The program runs to Aug. 2.
• The West Pittston Salvation Army at 214 Luzerne St., West Pittston. Breakfast is offered from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and an afternoon snack is offered from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. The program runs until Aug. 16.
• Christian & Missionary Alliance 317 Luzerne Ave., West Pittston. An evening snack is offered from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. from July 22 to July 27
• Winter Street Development in Pittston. Lunch is offered from noon to 1 p.m. through Aug. 16.
• Schooley Ave. Apartments at 500 Schooley Ave., Exeter. Lunch is offered from noon to 1 p.m. through Aug. 16.
• Wyoming Library at 358 Wyoming Ave., Wyoming. A morning snack is offered from 11 a.m. to noon through Aug. 16.
• Moosic Youth Center at 606 Main St., Moosic. Lunch is offered from noon to 1 p.m. through Aug. 16.
For more information about Pennsylvania Summer Meals for Children, call 1-800-331-0129, Ext. 537637.