First Posted: 8/17/2013
Matt Flynn and Caitlin Gaughan ran to overall victories in Saturday’s Pittston Tomato Festival 5k race.
Flynn finished with a time of 16:32, out-running second-place finisher, Jeff McCabe, by 25 seconds.
“I went out with Jeff. I took the lead right when we left the Oregon section and then I just tried to put a surge in to win,” he said. Flynn ran for Pittston Area during his high school years.
On the female side, Gaughan won with a time of 19:27.
“It was one of those races where I started slow in the beginning and I gradually picked it up towards the end,” she said. “I knew there was going to be a lot of hills at the end, so I wanted to save a lot of my energy for that.”
Gaughan runs every day and is training for the Steamtown Marathon in October.
As for those hot August days, the weather for the race was a little on the cool side, much to the delight for the runners.
This was the 15th running of the race and Jay Duffy, the race director, said that in the race’s history, it hasn’t rain once.
All proceeds from the race went to the Miles for Michael fund, which helps local families that are battling cancer, and the One Fund Boston for the victims of the Boston Marathon back in April.
For each race application, one dollar was donated to the One Fund and four dollars to the Miles for Michael fund.
Top Ten Finishers
1. Matt Flynn, 27, Media, 16:32 (overall winner)
2. Jeff McCabe, 29, Exeter, 16:57
3. Michael Havrilla, 16, Pittston, 17:42
4. Michael Batyko, 27, Scranton, 17:52
5. Marcus Magyar, 27, West Pittston, 18:07
6. Michael McAndrew, 53, Avoca, 18:21
7. Brandon Hampton, 20, Pittston, 18:25
8. Paul O’Hora, 41, Scranton, 18:28
9. Bob Yonick, 29, Camp Hill, 19:01
10. Joe Drumsta, 45, Scranton, 19:16
11. Caitlin Gaughan, 27, Scranton, 19:27 (overall female winner)