First Posted: 4/19/2013
The Greater Pittston YMCA encourages children and parents to explore the many benefits of swimming, while also keeping safety top of mind. In the Y’s swim programs, participants can enjoy water sports, enhance or learn new techniques, meet new friends and develop confidence while also learning safety skills that can save lives.
As part of National Water Safety Month in May, the Greater Pittston YMCA recommends children and adults practice the following safety tips when in and around the water:
• Only swim when and where there is a lifeguard on duty; never swim alone.
• Adults should constantly and actively watch their children.
• Inexperienced or non-swimmers should wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
• Parents or guardians of young children should be within an arm’s reach.
• Children and adults should not engage in breath holding activities.
For more information on the swim programs call the GP YMCA at 655-2255 ext. 104.