First Posted: 2/27/2013
Holy Rosary School in Duryea announces the following:
- We hope everyone had a great time at Holy Rosary School Night Out at the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins game.
- There is a lot to do at Holy Rosary this week. Don’t forget that Wednesday is “World Read Aloud Day.” We look forward to the day’s activities and encourage everyone to take some time to read together at home.
- One of the greatest gifts we can share with our children is a love of reading and eating yummy yogurt! Holy Rosary School will conduct a fundraiser from 1 to 10 p.m. on Friday, March 18 at Sweet Frogs. When full price purchase is used, Sweet Frogs will donate 25 percent to our school when a coupon is presented. Sweet Frogs is located at 2258 Highland Park Blvd. Wilkes-Barre and we thank them for their generosity in allowing us this great family night opportunity.
- We are so proud of all of our students who participated in Saturday’s Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science competition at King’s College. Check back for photos and congratulations to our students who will move on to state competition.
- Congratulations to the varsity cheerleaders for earning first place at the ASA Cheer Competition.
- Our eighth-grade students will participate in a retreat from 12:30 to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5. We welcome Father Edwards to our school and thank him for organizing this opportunity for prayer and reflection with our graduating class.
- Our ext PTO will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5.
- We ask God’s blessing on our second-grade students who have received or will be receiving their First Penance in the next few weeks.
- Good luck to our junior varsity and varsity forensics teams who will participate in the regional competition on Thursday, March 7 at Holy Redeemer High School. Nine teams will perform two and three-person plays. Everyone is ready thanks to their moderators Mrs. Lauren Gedrich, Mrs. Nancy Musso and Mrs. Joan Dowd.
- Stations of the Cross will be prayed from 8:15 to 8:45 a.m. on on Friday.
- We wish all students competing in the Computer Fair the very best of luck. The Computer Fair will be held at LIU on Friday, March 8. If your child is participating, please be sure to arrange transportation home from HRS for the day as the bus from the LIU will return to HRS between 2:30 and 2:45 p.m. after our buses have left for the day. Please send a note with your child stating who will be picking them up that afternoon. Sincere thanks to Mrs. Melissa Skutack for affording our children this exciting opportunity.
- Thank you to Mrs. Simkulak, Mrs. Loftus and Mrs. Miller for their program which strives to instill in our students Catholic ideals and values. Students may donate a dollar through March 30 and they will receive a paper heart with their name on it to be hung in the classroom. Children may donate as many times as they’d like. At the conclusion, we will determine the class that has raised the most money to receive an ice cream treat. All monies will be donated to the Care and Concern Free Pediatric Clinic of St. John the Evangelist for the care of the children they serve.
- Last Wednesday, your children came home with a “Kick-off Packet” of information about our Race for Education. Your participation is essential to the success of this program, and will provide an excellent opportunity to reduce your tuition for 2013-2014. Please take advantage of this fun opportunity to help reduce your own tuition, while helping to provide money for the school for future programs and maintenance.
- The Third Annual HRS 5K Race and 1K Fun Walk will be held at 9 a.m. on Saturday, April 20, rain or shine.
- Gift certificate news vouchers sales are held from 8 to 10 a.m. each Thursday in the basement of Holy Rosary Church. School families may send in orders on Wednesday to be filled on Thursday.
- In addition to cartridge recycling we also have cell phone recycling. Select cell phones can be dropped off in the same location and recycled for credit. For more information or for a list of qualifying cartridges, visit www.fundingfactory.com or contact Mrs. Skutack at 457-2553.