YATESVILLE — The Pittston Area School Board approved the hiring of nine teachers at Wednesday night’s meeting.
The following teachers were hired:
• Robert Naples, music, fifth grade
• Marissa Luko, music, intermediate
• Justin Rupe, instrumental music, intermediate
• Gordon McDonald, science, high school
• Danielle Andrews, English, high school
• Alyssa Stella, first grade, primary
• Renee Phillips, special education, intermediate
• Loren Pliss, special education, emotional support
• Mara Davis, special education/gifted, high school
The board also approved the school lunch prices for the 2015-16 school year, keeping the breakfast prices for both elementary and secondary the same at $1.20. However, both the paid lunch prices for elementary and secondary saw a $0.10 increase, coming in at $2.20 for an elementary lunch and $2.30 for a secondary lunch.
The district also saw pending changes for the upcoming school year in the athletics department, as well.
A motion was passed to convert the girls’ lacrosse program from solely a club sport to a league sport.
“There is a lot of interest in this, and it wouldn’t be at a great cost,” said board member John Donahue. “We could look into scholarships and donations if the cost is truly prohibitive.”
In the same vein, a motion was passed to create a junior varsity team for girls’ volleyball team.
“We have over 55 girls participating,” said board member Anthony Guariglia. “I definitely think it would be in our best interest to have a junior varsity level for the participants.”
The Times Leader newsroom may be reached at 570-829-7242 or on Twitter @TLnews.